Everything that drives me crazy about the first two episodes of this TV show. I watched it to episode 5, but these are all the notes I took. I couldn’t go on, it was too stupid.
A friend in Tallahassee broke his iPhone and wanted me to talk him out of buying a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. I failed, but he likes the phone. Here’s how he rationalizes his purchase.
I feel like with the money spent I am getting a new toy per se to play with, whereas the iPhone I kind of think of it like this, you have this pretty, reliable, and safe girlfriend that you know won’t let you down (iPhone), and then you meet this exotic stripper (Samsung) and your practical side says “stay with the reliable” but your lizard brain is telling you to go with the stripper, and you know it can cause you some heartbreak down the road but it might be worth it in the short term haha!
I love it.
The squealing of the Internet over Google’s purchase of Nest baffles me. Sure it’s not exactly their mandate of organizing the world’s information, but I fail to see the pants-wetting terror of an advertising company having access to my most personal integer: the temperature of my living room. It looks like another attempt by Google to get its hands an excellent hardware manufacturer ala Motorola. Even in an apartment I desperately want a Nest thermostat and some of those Protect smoke detectors.
Hello Games’ studio was flooded on Christmas Eve after a nearby river broke its bank, resulting in the loss of computers, furniture and personal items.
Backup. Then backup again. Then offsite backup. Then rotate offsite backup.
I wish some news article would mention if the Hello Games team was using offsite backup. It seems dangerous to store your game code on Dropbox or even in a private Github repository, but the physical world is equally happy to destroy your possessions.
Sorry, did I say having a Mac mini server was boring? I was wrong. Thanks to OpenEmu it’s fun and exciting! And fun. With a Wii Remote and a Mac you can use the most beautiful, smooth, and functional multiple emulator system on the planet.
Yeah, it looks like Plex and iTunes had a baby. But it’s a native Mac app and centralizes a dozen different classic systems. There’s fullscreen support and good performance and no lag! Even the preferences menu is a joy to behold. I’m overwhelmed.
I’m trying to remember why I need this Mac mini.
I bought it last year to serve as a hub for classic games once it became clear that the Ouya was an underpowered laggy mess with awful emulation software. But it turns out the Mac’s controller lag is worse. Plus I failed to index my Wii Virtual Console library. Everything I want to play is already there and lag-free through a Classic Controller.
Remember those people who thought iOS 7 adoption would be slower than iOS 6’s last year because people would reject the new UI design? Didn’t happen.
Source: Daring Fireball
Tons of people are upgrading to iOS 7, that’s undeniable. It has a lot of great new features like Control Center and background app updating. It also features a hideous design that’s somewhere between Microsoft’s Windows 8 and Android’s Holo but without the polish of either. Not hard to go on Dribbble and find better iOS 7 designs.
What if people did reject the new design? How would we know?
Some things about the smartphone wars are objective. The Nexus 5 has a larger screen than the iPhone 5s, while the iPhone has a fingerprint sensor and the Nexus doesn’t. If those were the only two differences of the devices you’d choose which one is most important to you and that’d be the end of it.
Our digital computing world is hardly that binary (cough). Each type of phone has lots of features, some you can compare (processor, RAM, screen size) and others you can’t always line up (user experience, app quality, privacy). So we have endless debates about which phone is better because of which reasons. Android phones typically win on objective features and iPhones tend to win on the softer, subjective ones.
What surprises you about the iPad Air is how small it feels.
For the most part that’s intentional. The side bezels are smaller, the back is thinner, the batteries and screen are lighter. But the effect is to make the apparent size of the screen about 20% smaller. You marvel at the feel of the device in your hands, then wonder why they’re charging the same price for less pixels.
Except… oh, wait. Yeah.
In theory I still hate iOS 7 with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns, but after converting my iPhone to the new operating system I’m running out of steam. It’s still bad in many ways, but there are some thoughtful touches.
- Using FFVIIHook on Steam Deck for Final Fantasy VII Remastered
- The Last Rug Pull
- Mythic Quest Thoughts
- My PGP Public Key
- Using OBS Studio and ffmpeg to Record Games for YouTube
- Using GitHub Actions to Publish Static Sites to Azure
- 307 Pages I Got Back, Part 5
- 307 Pages I Got Back, Part 4
- 307 Pages I Got Back, Part 3
- FFMPEG commands for audio/video mixing
- 307 Pages I Got Back, Part 2
- 307 Pages I Got Back, Part 1
- Configuring Samba 5 to share a folder with full write permissions to guest users
- Me Suffer Now
- Peace Among Worlds
- Halo: Installation 07
- From Zero to Hero of Time
- Remember to Forget
- That Next Next Next
- Pillars of Whateveritwas
- The Average Saiyan Warrior
- Bravely Diffident
- Landing gear deployed
- So Wildstar
- It's that very special time of year, Greendale
- iPhones and lizard brains
- From the context it is clear what you mean
- Do you still want to meet?
- Kill meeee
- Dark Souls II playthroughs
- The Amazing Spider-dope
- Final Archstone
- More Archstone
- Old Ben on the mountain
- Target blank
- Clan Centurio knows how to treat its hard working members
- Steam Machines
- We shall l'cie
- Cooling a Playstation 3
- Next gen resmolutions
- New Year's in Ivalice
- The commander is ashore
- Fantasies twelve and thirteen
- Into the Nexus
- Collector's cretins
- The good olde days
- Mulling Mac mini
- Driving blind
- Hyrule Warriors
- Elite: Dangerous
- Free play
- The Desolation of Smaug
- Fallout free
- iOS 7 adoption
- Xbox, did you see that?
- Goodbye, Stanley
- Wag the tail
- Gold coin for your thoughts?
- Beginning Bitcoin
- Final Fantasy VIII
- The Happy Room and the Stairs
- Stanley entered the door on the left
- Base secured. Standby for new orders.
- Single payer video game
- Storm in a teacup
- A trapped wolf will cut off its own leg
- Assassin's appendix
- The wheels on the bus
- Riding dirty
- Marketing is a feature
- Everything is permitted
- What shall we do with a drunken sailor?
- Day One
- Xbox One hunting
- Uphill both ways
- Recabling fever
- Next gen jitters
- Thor: The Dark World
- I will see to it personally
- Reviewing the Playstation 4
- Node Foreeever
- Knockin' on Node's door
- Junk Jack X
- iPad Air
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
- The fastest way
- Internet Explorer-tan
- Back to the city
- Apocalypse cancelled
- Captain Zack Power
- It's crime time!
- People are protesting low land values
- Take a girl for a ride
- For Tyria!
- Guild Wars 2 is a bad game
- Reformat syndrome
- At the Nexus of madness
- It is now safe to use approved electronic devices
- iPhone tremors
- A challenger appearz
- Surface-level compromises
- 7.85 inch... oh no
- Magical, revolutionary advertising
- Gamer Theater
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution reflections
- Thoughts on Apple TV
- Fixing Apache on Mountain Lion
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Remnant
- Dark Souls
- EYE on Exodus
- The Rolling Dead
- Sparrow flies away
- Memo to Charles Schumer: Publishers are not books
- The Binding of Seacrest County
- Consuming iPads
- Frequently Asked Questions
- AMAZING MAN OR MENACE?
- Twitter cracking down
- Synthetic meat
- How I use Facebook
- Sublime Text hits version 2
- I have to touch it!
- EA as underdog
- Yes, I would like to gno mor
- My format: guardian
- Bad. Ass.
- How I organize
- Summer beach parties are coming
- Weyland Science Mission Procedures and Precautions
- Setting up Mac for PHP and Ruby websites
- Is there any life in the Vita?
- Do. Or do not. There is a 30-day trial.
- Moving to Mac
- You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days?
- I didn't ask for these boss battles
- This holy place has been desecrated
- Jordan's Mod Guide: FreeSpace + FreeSpace 2
- Jordan's Mod Guide: Descent + Descent 2 Rebirth
- It's a good day to kill, your majesty!
- Flower review imagined as a conversation between Morpheus and Neo in The Matrix
- The inhabitants of the Gayzor mountains
- Page 1 of 3
- Older posts